If you want to build Android apps with F#, you’ll need the following things:
- Xamarin Studio (true on both Mac and PC). I hope soon we’ll have an Android/F# option within Visual Studio but as of today (17 October 2013) it’s not there.
- F# 3.0 or later (seems to go without saying but just in case)
- Within XS, you will need both the F# language bindings and the F# For Android Add-ins
- If you wish to be able to debug the app on your phones
- On Mac you don’t need to do anything special
- On Windows you need to make sure you have the proper driver installed from the phone manufacturer. The Xamarin docs say get the latest Google USB driver but it appears you need to get the specific driver from the phone manufacturer.
By the way, many kudos to Dave Thomas (@7Sharp9) who has tirelessly worked on bettering the Xamarin/Android/F# experience. None of this would be possible without his hard work.